If you want to know study tips for college, you are in the right place. Being able to concentrate and absorb as much of what has been studied is a task that fewer students master. Social networks and instant messaging applications, for example, are extremely functional tools, but they become dangerous when overused at the time of the study. Here are some study tips for college that will help you make the most of your study time.
1. Set study times
For this, it is important that you evaluate your daily tasks and organize a schedule. When designing your study schedule, look at everything from commuting time, for example, to mealtime. When planning, always set aside a time for rest and recreation.
2. Pleasant study environment
Organize a nice study environment: airy, well-lit, with a comfortable chair and table. Studying on the couch or in bed is probably not an optimal choice, as these places can make you feel sleepy. It is also significant to stay away from cell phones and television as they can lead to distraction. You should not forget to prepare all the study materials required for the exam or good study, such as pens, notebooks, pencils, and eraser.
3. Organize what must be studied
Organize what ought to be studied: separate the subjects, which should be studied in three days or in the week as well as the activities that must be performed each day. It is suggested that different topics or subjects be studied one after the other.
4. Manage your time
Time is the key element in study plans if you were able to mange your time the right way that will result in a big improvement in your study. So as one of our study tips for college we want to recommend you to adopt the Pomodoro technique, which is used for time management. This technique is based on dividing time into 30-minute study cycles interspersed with 10-minute rest. In addition, according to this method, every four 30-minute cycles, the student must take longer rests, ranging from 20 minutes to 40 minutes.
5. How to study alone?
Many people perform better when studying with a teacher or even with a colleague. However, a large proportion of students show higher results when studying alone. Like group study, studying alone requires a lot of dedication, organization, and concentration. For this, some actions are essential:
- Choose a nice and quiet place of study.
- Set up a proper study routine.
- Avoid any distraction such as social networks. One tip is to turn off all electronic devices.
- Ask people not to interrupt you at the time of the study.
- Choose a study technique (mind maps, summary, and schematics, etc.).
- Explain the content to yourself.
6. How to focus on studies?
Focusing on studies is not an easy task, so it is necessary to create a conducive learning environment. While not all people are the same, some simple attitudes can help you improve your concentration on studies and get a better result. Here are some tips:
- Do not use electronic devices during studies. It is best to leave them turned off to avoid checking social networks.
- Organize a comfortable, airy, well-lit study place. It is also important to organize the necessary materials, such as a pen, pencil, highlighter, etc.
- Divide time into study blocks and pause between blocks.
- Avoid listening to songs that contain familiar lyrics during the study as you may be distracted. Prefer, for example, classical music.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
7. How to study for the exam?
Many people have difficulty studying for exams. Also common are students who only study on the eve of the test. This attitude usually does not provide an efficient study, as it causes increased levels of stress and pressure, for example. Here are some tips for studying for exams:
- Take a reading of the test content and identify the parts where you have the most difficulty.
- Separate the subjects into parts that should be studied and make a study schedule.
- Set aside time to study each piece of content and take breaks from time to time.
- Choose a study technique (summary, the definition of key concepts, schemes, e).
- Try to explain the story to yourself or, if possible, to someone else.
- Solve exercises of different difficulty levels on the topic.
- Avoid distractions.
- If in doubt, deepen your research on the topic, consult friends, or ask a teacher for help.
8. How to study for the contest?
Many people’s dream is to pass a public contest. This requires a lot of study and dedication. Studying for a contest, however, is not an easy task, because often the notice is released in a relatively short time until the test is held. Therefore, the idea is to choose the area in which you want to tender and study, even if the test is not scheduled. To do this, rely on evidence and notices from previous contests.
After defining the contest you want to provide, just follow some simple tips:
- Select the subjects to be studied.
- Make a study schedule that fits your routine.
- Organize a suitable place for study, with a comfortable table and chair, adequate light, and pleasant temperature.
- Choose a study technique (mind maps, summary, schemes, and more).
- Search for materials that will help you with the test, such as video lessons and handouts.
- Solve evidence from previous competitions. If you already have a public notice, try to know the bank responsible for the test.
- Review the subject matter.
9. Study Techniques
There are different study techniques that can be used on a daily basis. Among the main known methods we have:
- Concept maps: diagrams showing the relationships between different concepts.
- Schemes: kind of synthesis of the studied text, made from the survey of its main parts. Many authors compare a scheme to a kind of text skeleton, which gives an overview of the subject.
- Underline the text: it consists of highlighting, in the studied material, words or expressions considered important. To do this, the student should read the paragraph before underlining it so that they have a clear idea of what needs to be highlighted.
- Summaries: synthesis of the studied material. In this technique, the student must first read the entire text and then summarize it.
- Definition of key concepts: identification of the main concepts of the chapter and construction of short definitions.